CMCB’s Youth Chorus is an online one-stop-shop for all things singing related! This class is perfect for kids ages 8 to 13 who love to sing, are eager to make music with other singers, and are curious to find the answers to questions like “when did singing first begin?”, “who wrote the first piece of choral music?”, and “what in the world is a hyoid bone?”. Youth Chorus is a small class that meets on a weekly basis, and it’s the ideal place to connect with other singing enthusiasts, learn a ton, and sing your heart out! No audition necessary.
Over the course of the school year, students will:
- Become better acquainted with their individual voices within a group context through vocal warm ups, workshopping choral solos, peer review, partner practice, etc.
- Examine elements of choral and vocal music history through interactive play.
- Expand their knowledge of choral repertoire and performance practice through active listening and observation.
- Learn the basics of ear training, music theory, and musical form.
- Explore the “extra” treasures of the vocal/choral music world, including the basics of vocal technique and choral conducting, different styles of singing, non-Western singing techniques, notable choral events like the 30,000 person Estonian Song Festival chorus (Laulupidu), and more!
- Gain the skill set and confidence to excel in faster paced, larger choral ensembles in a post COVID-19 environment.
CMCB’s Youth Chorus
with Akela Franklin
Saturdays 10AM-11AM, Online